Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any bursaries available for Further Education and Training students?

Yes. The Department introduced the public FET College Bursary Scheme. Through the bursary scheme the DoE provides access to vocational education and training at public FET Colleges.

Can a child be expelled from school because she is pregnant?

No. Section 9″(3) of the Constitution, entitled “Equality”, states that: The state may not unfairly discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds, including race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.”

Can a child be refused registration because he/she doesn’t fall under a different feeder zone?

Feeder zones were created in order to control the learner numbers in schools and coordinate parental preferences. First preference must be given to a learner who lives in the feeder zone of a school. A learner who lives outside the feeder zone can seek admission at whichever school she/he chooses, however, access to the chosen school cannot be guaranteed.

Can a school withhold results or refuse a child access to school because of outstanding school fees?

No. No learner can be denied admission or otherwise discriminated against on grounds of the parent’s inability or failure to pay school fees.

Can learners be searched at school for the possession of drugs?

Random searches of learners/individuals are prohibited. Searches of learners can only be carried out by persons of the same gender as part of a structured intervention in a decent and orderly manner, if there is reasonable suspicion that the learner is in possession of a prohibited substance. Should a search be necessary, it should take place in the presence of a person of their choice to support them and a second adult witness of the same gender.

Can someone who dropped out of school in 2004 write Matric this year. How do you do it and where?

The candidate who dropped out of school in 2004 can register to complete matric old SCE in May/June 2010. The registration has started in earnest. The closing date is 30 September 2009. The candidate is that the candidate must have passed Grade 11 or attempted passed one or more SCE subjects. Forms are available in district education offices.

Can the school expel me or force me to leave if I am pregnant?

In terms of the South African Constitution and the following legislation, a school may not expel a learner or force her to leave on the basis of pregnancy. She does not have to register as a private candidate if she is in Grade 12.The learner’s guardian/s may challenge the school management’s decision on the basis of the legislation.

Do parents have a right to lodge an appeal against the decision by the school not to admit a learner?

Section 9 of the South African Schools Act No.84 of 1996 (SASA) states that any learner or parent of a learner who has been refused admission to a public school may appeal against the decision to the Member of the Executive Council of that particular province.

How does one apply for the FET college bursary?

Enrol at a Public FET College for NC (V) Programmes and apply for a bursary.

How long does it take to obtain a new copy of a matric certificate?

The Statement of results is obtainable immediately after you have made a request and a copy of a matric certificate takes 8 to 10 weeks.

Is drug testing permissible?

By its very nature, drug testing is an invasion of privacy and may infringe the constitutional and personal rights of learners. It should therefore not be the first point of intervention.Is it important to enrol a child for Grade R?

What are FET colleges and what do they offer?

They are public or private further education and training institutions that are established, declared or registered under the FET Act No. 16, 2006 but do not include:

  • a school offering further education and training programmes under the South African Schools Act:
  • a college under the authority of a government department other than the Department of Education.

Further Education and Training (FET) colleges strive to provide high-quality education and training to help one equip oneself with the qualifications and skills one needs to start out on a chosen career path. One will gain invaluable life skills to meet the many challenges of the working world with more than just a qualification on paper.

What are the bursaries/ loans offered by the Department of Education?

Funza Lushaka Bursary is a programme designed to boost recruitment into teaching especially in priority (rural) areas. National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is a bursary/loan that is available for students from previously disadvantaged backgrounds to study at Institutions of Higher Learning. Application forms are obtainable from the Student Financial Aid offices at all Higher Educational Institutions.

What are the requirements to register for FET?

Grade 9 for National Certificate (Vocational)

What documents are required to register a child at a public school?

Immunisation card, Birth certificate, A transfer card or last school report card for learners who have been to school. A child may be registered provisionally if these documents are not available; and the parent must be given reasonable time to submit them.

What is admission age for Grade 1?

The admission age of a learner to a public school to grade 1 is age five turning six by 30 June in the year of admission. For admission to grade R it is four turning five by 30 June in the year of admission. Parents may however choose to send their children to grade R and grade 1 at a slightly older age, namely 5 turning 6 in the year of admission to grade R or 6 turning 7 in the year of admission to grade 1.

What is the procedure for suspending a child at a public school?

The governing body of a public school may, after a fair hearing, suspend a learner from attending the school as a correctional measure for a period not longer than a week or in consultation with the Head of Department, pending a decision as to whether the learner is to be expelled from the school by the Head of Department.

What is the Vision of ECDOE?

Our vision is to offer a quality education and training system that transforms schools into centres of community life and promotes shared moral values, good governance and sustainable development.

When can one register for ABET classes and what programmes/levels are offered by ABET?

From January to February of each year and there are Four ABET Levels; namely:

  • Level 1 = Grade 3
  • Level 2 = Grade 5
  • Level 3 = Grade 7
  • Level 4 = Grade 9 or NQF level 1

Where should a child who has been refused admission on the basis of age go? For example, a child who is 16 years old who wants to do basic education.Section 3 of the South African Schools Act, provides for compulsory attendance of learners at school between the ages of 7 and 15 or the completion of Grade 9, whichever comes first. A learner who is 16 years of age or older who has never attended school and is seeking admission for the first time or who did not make sufficient progress with his/her peer group is advised to enrol at an Adult Basic Education and Training (ABET) centre.

Who qualifies to apply for exemption from payment of school fees and how does one apply for exemption?

Parents may be exempted from paying school fees depending on their combined annual gross income.The categories for the purpose of exemption are as follows:

  • If the combined annual gross income of the parents is less than ten times the annual school fees per learner, the parent qualifies for full ;
  • If the combined annual gross income of the parents is less than thirty times but more than ten times the annual school fees per learner, the parent qualifies for partial exemption;
  • If the combined annual gross income of the parents is more than thirty times the annual school fees per learner, the parent does not qualify for exemption. The categories are applicable if the annual school fees are determined in terms of section 39 of the Act.

A parent who wishes to be exempted from payment of school fees for each individual learner at a particular school must apply in writing to the chairperson of the governing body on the form that may be requested from the school.