Ramaphosa said this at the Fauresmith Hall on Monday 12 September 2022 while addressing victims that have been affected by floods. Over 200 families were left homeless when a mine dam burst and swept away houses, cars and eventually leading to the death of one person while two others are still missing. Ramaphosa further expressed his deepest concerns for affected grade 12 learners who are writing their preliminary exams.
Meanwhile, Free State Education spokesperson, Howard Ndaba, reiterated that no school facilities were affected by the floods that took place in Jagersfontein on Sunday morning. He, however, explained that teaching and learning might be affected as a result of access to school facilities. Ndaba also said that the department is currently compiling a detailed report which will reveal the way forward for affected schools. OFM News previously reported that the Education MEC in the Free State had revealed that his department is on high alert following the mine dam disaster that struck the small town of Jagersfontein.
The Emergency Medical Services (EMS) spokesperson, Sipho Towa, confirmed that one life has been lost, whilst the search and rescue teams continue to search for other missing people.
Towa had also told OFM News that a total number of 73 patients were treated for injuries at the Diamond Hospital in Jagersfontein. At least 16 patients were released from the hospital after being treated for minor injuries, while others remain admitted for further medical observation.
The Free State Government, led by Premier Sisi Ntombela, together with other stakeholders, which include Gift of the Givers and Red Cross South Africa, amongst others, have been providing much-needed assistance to victims of the Jagersfontein mine dam disaster. Ramaphosa also assured the affected community that the government will continue to assist for things to return to normality.