To be a Department that strives to ensure progressive realization of universal schooling, improving quality of education and eliminating disparities amongst Free State citizens.
To provide an education system that is free, compulsory, universal and equal for all children of the Free State Province.
- Free from barriers to educational opportunities
- Universal access and completion
- Redress past imbalances
- Quality education for all
- Courteous and timely service
- Committed and accountable staff
Promotion of sound corporate governance through sustainable use of resources:
- To provide overall management to the department;
- To provide support and related services to educational institutions; and
- To provide subsidy to independent schools in line with norms and standards.
Provision of effective and accessible quality basic education
- To provide effective teaching and learning to all children/learners from grade 1 to grade 12;
- To provide access to quality education to learners with special needs; and
- To expand and universalise Grade R.
Provision of relevant and accessible Further Education and Training (FET) programmes
- To develop skills for economic growth and development.
- To provide quality education for adults and out of school youth.